Articles that teach, help, heighten awareness, and enlighten…
Advocacy Unlimited is pleased to present this collection of helpful articles and stories of use and interest to the mental health community and the consumer movement.
- Sandy Hook
AU's involvement, reaction, and response to the December 14, 2012 tragedy, the media coverage, resulting legislation, and impacts on Human Rights.
- Discrimination: A Roadblock to Recovery
An exhibit of photographs depicting types of discrimination experienced by people with mental health and/or substance use disorders.
- People First Language: Dignity, Not Semantics
It is about dignity and a right for people to be treated with respect.
- Mental health advocate talks of the highs, lows
The Register Citizen article recapping a talk by Dr. Karen A. Kangas, AU's Executive Director, at Prime Time House in Torrington, CT on June 24, 2008 (opens in a new browser window).
- Healing a Troubled Mind Takes More Than a Pill
Reprinted article by Charles Barber, author and lecturer in Psychiatry at Yale University School of Medicine, as published in the Washington Post.
- What If the Police Come to Take You to the Hospital?
- The Goose Story
- Principles of Advocacy
- Should You Become an Advocate?
- Put a Restraint on Restraints
- Medications and Sensitivity to Heat or Sun
- Scientific Breakthroughs in Schizophrenia
Written and submitted by Joe Cornelio, AU Graduate Advocate, regarding a presentation at Hartford Hospital's Institute of Living.
- Mental Health Patients Learn to be Advocates
Reprinted article from the Danbury News-Times about AU Advocates Scott Fritz and Carolyn Roche, graduates from the 2005 Danbury Course.
…return to Previous Page