AU LogoOnline Self-Study Courses

Americans with Disabilities Act  (ADA)

IX.  What If an Employer Refuses My Request for a Reasonable Accommodation?

What can I do if my employer refuses to accommodate me, or if my employer agrees to an accommodation but then treats me differently than other employees without my disability?
If your employer refuses to agree to a reasonable accommodation, or if you believe you are being treated unfairly or that you were disciplined or fired because of your disability after you asked for an accommodation, you need to make a formal complaint immediately with both the:

Unless you make these complaints, you will not be able to bring a case to court.

What Information Must Be Provided to File a Charge?

  • The complaining party's name, address, and telephone number;
  • The name, address, and telephone number of the respondent employer, employment agency, or union that is alleged to have discriminated, and number of employees (or union members), if known;
  • A short description of the alleged violation (the event that caused the complaining party to believe that his or her rights were violated);
       - and -
  • The date(s) of the alleged violation(s)

X.  Further Info and FAQ's


Congratulations! You have completed this self-study course.

NextTake the Exam

Previous Lesson  |  Course Contents

© Advocacy Unlimited, Inc.

  Top of Page  

Home  |  Recovery University  |  Advocacy Course  |  Young Adult Initiatives  |  Online Courses  |  Toivo
Problem Gambling  |  Events  |  Resource Center  |  Jobs  |  About Us  |  Contact Us  |  En español

Advocacy Unlimited, Inc.  ·  114 West Main St.  ·  New Britain, CT 06051  ·  (860) 505-7581  ·