Education and Training
Advocacy Education Course Requirements
AU's Advocacy Education Course is open to any Connecticut adult age 18 or older with, or in recovery from, a psychiatric disability or co-occuring disorder. Advocacy Unlimited selects individuals who have a strong commitment to the growth of the consumer movement in Connecticut -- people who are willing to take their place as consumer leaders in their communities.
From the class applications received or on file, applicants are contacted and interviews scheduled.
Potential students must:
- Have, or be in recovery from, a psychiatric disability or co-occuring disorder and be willing to disclose.
- Commit to attending the one day per week classes for the duration of the 14 week semester, and complete all homework assignments. Potential students must be able to arrange transportation to these classes.
- Agree to become part of AU's Grassroots Network of Graduate Advocates that provides a voice in the community and helps others in their recovery.
- Have, or if at all possible obtain, an email address and Internet access in order to become part of AU's online network of Advocates.
- Agree to respond to Legislative Alerts from AU and provide written testimony and/or testify at the Legislative Office Building in Hartford on critical legislative issues as you are able.
- Be a registered voter. (Note: if you are not already a registered voter, you may still apply and take the course, but Graduate Advocates are strongly encouraged to become registered voters.)
The education process includes:
- Fourteen classroom sessions – one five to six-hour session per week for fourteen consecutive weeks led by an AU Staff Educator with an expert guest presenter for each topic.
- Support and guidance from AU Staff via telephone, mail, email, or in-person at the AU Office.
- An annual Advocates' Retreat (if held) and educational workshops for continued growth and networking with other advocates form across the state.
For the students who successfully complete the 14 week Advocacy Education Course, a graduation ceremony is held and graduating students are each presented with a certificate.
If you are interested in applying for the Advocacy Education Course, you can complete and submit an Online Application.
…return to Previous Page